Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
Performs design and development in such areas as mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, thermodynamic, or heat transfer for production, transmission, measurement, and use of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines and/or machines. Leads development of strategic tasks or small projects by applying engineering and organizational knowledge and expertise to achieve technical goals. Understands and interprets the technical, organizational and process aspects of the task assigned and can relate them to the technical needs of the overall project or organization. Plans and executes small projects or task elements within larger projects, organizations, or for groups of projects. Responsible for the completion of assigned engineering tasks or small projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines. Actively uncovers technical and organizational risks and ensures they are included in risk mitigation plans. Participates in development of program strategies and teaming strategies as they relate to the assigned task. Participates in capturing new business and/or the proposal process. Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs. Directs support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
Up to 25% travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Solid proficiency and able to perform all responsibilities associated with the position
• Grasps and applies new information quickly
• Solid ability to handle more complex assignments
• Must be proficient with solid modeling CAD tools to create mechanical models and accompanying drawings
• Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
• Solid knowledge with technical standards, manufacturing/fabrication methods, government/industry standards
• Solid knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools; ANSYS experience is a plus
• Solid knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools; Solidworks experience is a plus
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
• Understanding of Electronics Packaging design methods
• Experience with thermal, shock, vibration, and/or high voltage stress analyses
• Electronic packaging design (PWB to mounting frame thermal management, fiber-optic splice and cable routing)
• Assembly and component drawing generation
• Experience with mechanical testing (design, run test, and provide report)
• Experience in an industrial setting
• Experience with design for manufacturing
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran