General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a X-LAB Software Developer for Missile Defense.This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- The candidate's primary responsibility is to work as a member of the X-Lab software development team to develop and test innovative solutions in support of X-Lab projects and experiments.
- Performs software requirements analysis, system integration activities, leads research, designs, develops and tests software and tools, to include development of new work products or enhancing existing applications, systems or embedded products
- Performs technical planning, verification and validation of others work, cost and risk analysis, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems
- Performs analysis for all levels of total system product to include concept, design, architecture, user experience, test, installation, operation, maintenance
- Applies principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis to the development of complex solutions
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into software solutions utilizing whatever development lifecycle techniques or model will yield the optimal results (Agile, Waterfall, etc.)
- Researches and analyzes data, such as customer design proposals, market trends, state of technology and industry, specifications and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Applies and champions the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle to support the generation of technical engineering products
- Participates as a Subject Matter Expert in internal review of software components and systems
- Receives no appreciable instruction on day-to-day work
- More often responsible to define the scope, schedule and expectations for the work they execute or lead
- Exercises latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments for self and teams
- Accountable to lead and guide the completion of major programs and projects
- Responsible for resolution of significant and diverse range of complex problems and issues of broad scope and complexity which require the use of ingenuity and creativity
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations, or failure to accomplish results or errors typically will negatively impact business segment financial results and cause business segment to fail to achieve organizational objectives
- Provides leadership and/or direction and/or supervision to lower level employees and teams
- Leads small technical proposals and contributes to medium sized proposals
- Frequently responsible to lead collaboration activities with senior management and leadership within the company
- Frequently responsible to lead collaboration with organizations outside engineering or with external customers and vendors/suppliers
- Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise as well as with senior internal and external personnel
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The X-Lab is a very fast paced and dynamic environment.
- The X-Lab is responsible for developing future looking prototypes for the Ballistic Missile Defense System including Sensor/Weapon Integration, Algorithm Development, User Interface Development and other critical leading edge missile defense technologies.
- The X-Lab has need for a mid-level Software Engineer to assist in full cycle software development including requirements, design, implementation, integration and testing.
- The successful Software Engineering personnel must possess an understanding of system software design and development, Java development, Service Oriented Architecture development principles and implementation, and software architecture.
- The candidate should have an understanding of and possess demonstrable skills including: The ability to develop JAVA software, and translate requirements into software design.
- Previous experience with the Eclipse IDE. The ability to understand and decompose requirements to support verification and validation testing of software components.
- The ability to generate detailed, repeatable test procedures.
- The ability to extract data to support analysis requirements.
- The ability to generate procedures that test functionality.
- The ability to perform, and knowledge of, Agile Development.
- Experience with various COTS and open source products is preferred.
- Background should include all aspects of the software development life cycle.
- Familiarity with Eclipse and other open source development tools a plus.
- Candidates must have experience working in an integrated team environment with other systems, software, and specialty engineers to develop solutions.
- The Software Developer must understand software engineering, design, development, and testing.
- The candidate will possess 2 - 6 years experience in a related engineering environment, with experience and expertise in software development and testing.
- Ability to analyze high level needs and through a structured and logical approach refine the need into an integrated set of requirements that leads to a fielded product.
- Excellent communications skills desired (written and oral).
- Able to communicate effectively and clearly present technical approaches and findings.
- Able to write and implement engineering plans within a project.
- Proven interaction in a team environment a must.
- Previous experience should demonstrate the technical skills and position responsibilities cited here.
- Ideally, the candidate will have previously worked on IRAD-type projects and be comfortable with rapidly changing requirements, design challenges which require novel solutions, fast-paced activities, and tight deadlines.
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Math, Science, Engineering, or Software Engineering