General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Principal Systems Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Leads requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of system, subsystem or system elements with little or no supervision
- Leads technical planning, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for subsystems and system elements
- Leads customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (subsystem, elements and components)
- Leads detailed technical analyses for a system, subsystem or system elements to include: concept, requirements, design, fabrication, integration, test, acceptance, delivery, installation, training, operation, maintenance and disposal
- Contributes to detailed technical analyses at the System of System (SOS) level
- Leads evaluations of systems, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable governmental security specifications
- May provide system accreditation/certification evaluation and test support to ensure all technical security features (e.g., identification, authentication, access control, labeling, and auditing) of the system are considered and function properly
- May develop system security documentation on both new and fielded information systems
- Synthesizes solutions to meet customer expectations and technical performance while staying within schedule and cost constraints
- Leads Modeling and Simulation activities
- Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Effectively chooses the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle to support the generation of technical engineering products
- Performs or leads the development of technical strategies and teaming strategies on multiple projects
- Contributes to Product Family/Product Lines
- Supervises or manages lower level employees
- Leads technical tasks for large teams or projects
- Leads small technical proposals and contributes to medium sized proposals
- May be a book boss on a medium proposal
- Leads the generation of medium to large subcontract Statement of Works (SOWs)
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments
- Guides the successful completion of major programs and projects
- Works on advanced architectures that may result in new business for the company
- Conceives system interfaces and business application prototypes.
- Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills.
- Defines processes for technical platforms, system specifications, input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software compatibility.
- Designs a complete and complex framework, system or product.
- Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Having broad expertise or unique knowledge, uses skills to contribute to development of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses.
- Frequent contact with all levels across the entire company
- Serves as consultant to management and customers on projects and applications
- May serve as company technical spokesperson
- Travel may be required
- Security clearance may be is required
- Works under consultative direction on predetermined long range objectives
- Assignments may be self-initiated
- Works on unusually complex problems and provides creative and innovative solutions
- May function in a Deputy Program Manager Engineering (DPME) role
- Keeps abreast of technology trends and communicates these trends to others
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated use, understanding and tailoring of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Solid foundation in signal processing and communication theory
- Experience in system and algorithm modeling using tools such as Matlab
- Frequently contributes to the development of innovative principles and ideas
- Major contributor to the achievement of business objectives
- Demonstrated proficiency with requirements management, system design & system modeling tools
- Recognizes various architectural patterns, applies them appropriately, understands strengths/weaknesses within those architectures and develops architectural variations as necessary
- Familiar with Enterprise Architecture Frameworks
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills
- Creative thinker
- Ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated skills in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Demonstrated ability to clearly report information relevant to sound systems engineering design
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to apply project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls is desirable
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
Department of Defense TS/SCI security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.