General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for an On-site Operations Lead Engineer. The selected candidate will provide site support leadership for a real world, real-time, information data gathering and analysis system. The work focuses primarily on understanding the technical capabilities of the system, providing day-to-day solutions, recommending changes based on new technology and new interfacing systems. The selected candidate will also interfaces directly with contractors, system users, and customer management to resolve current problems as well as providing insight and guidance to longer range technical concepts and solutions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Duties will require the candidate to provide technical leadership to an on-site support team, working collectively with team members to meet the current support scope of the system, while searching for ways to improve our level of support for identified system operational requirements
- Lead a group of on-site system engineers who provide second level support plus a small group of developers
Interface with the on-site, 24x7x365 support team for system sustainment activities
Apply critical thinking skills to understand and lead a team in solving intricate problems.
Effectively communicate complex subjects with customer management and report back to company associates on a regular basis
Develop and maintain relationships with customers and co-workers
Leads customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (subsystem, elements and components)
- Leads evaluations of systems, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable governmental security specifications
May provide system accreditation/certification evaluation and test support to ensure all technical security features (e.g., identification, authentication, access control, labeling, and auditing) of the system are considered and function properly
Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
Leads technical tasks for teams or projects
Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments.
Guides the successful completion of program deployments and projects
Supports technical planning, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for subsystems and system elements
Works on advanced architectures that may result in new business for the company
Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills
Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses
Serves as consultant to management and customers on projects and applications
May serve as company technical spokesperson
Travel may be required
Works under consultative direction on predetermined long range objectives
Works on unusually complex problems and provides creative and innovative solutions
- Keeps abreast of technology trends and communicates these trends to other
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Work collectively with the broader on-site system sustainment team to ensure our system support procedures promote group thinking and a cohesive support strategy
- Participate in technical meetings and discussions concerning the operational performance and reliability of our real world data analysis system
- Research technical disciplines and protocols concerning imagery data sets processed by our system to better understand the data and its relevance to customer mission operational support
- Be a liaison for system users, capturing critical system performance feedback presented by the customer and ensuring that information is presented to customer and company management for dissemination to key system stake holders
- Support the following OS and software: MS Windows 7 and 10, MS Windows Server 2008 through 2016, MAAS (Multi-int Analysis and Archive System)
- Report information through weekly site communications group meetings, weekly status reports, and monthly logs to team members and GDMS management
- Knowledge of the imagery exploitation life-cycle, and various imagery systems.
- A deep understanding of video encoding technology to include MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264 and H.265 formats
- An understanding of metadata formats leveraged by still and motion imagery data sensors.
- Experience managing large scale storage solution to include the terminology associated with library based solutions used to archive video content
- Experience identifying IT System related problems and submitting tickets to request support from Enterprise Architecture Entities
- The ability to prioritize IT problems based on their impacts to mission operations at site
- The ability to articulate IT problems with other team technicians to promote communication and coordination across the hardware and software support team
- Show a willingness to work directly with customers face to face to address and resolve system related issues.
- Demonstrate a willingness to provide support to customers in a real world high stress support environment
- Demonstrate good communications skills and use those skills to gather user information concerning the operational state and performance of our system
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred
- Demonstrated use, understanding and tailoring of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Frequently contributes to the development of innovative principles and ideas
- Major contributor to the achievement of business objectives
- Demonstrated proficiency with requirements management, system design & system modeling tools
- Recognizes various architectural patterns, applies them appropriately, understands strengths/weaknesses within those architectures and develops architectural variations as necessary
- Familiar with Enterprise Architecture Frameworks
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills
- Creative thinker
- Ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated skills in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Demonstrated ability to clearly report information relevant to sound systems engineering design
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to apply project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls
Department of Defense TS/SCI with Polygraph security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed, U.S. citizenship is required.