General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a System Administrator / DevOps engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
The Linux Sys Admin / DevOps Engineer configures, maintains, and supports integration and test of applications on high performance computing platforms, clusters and supporting infrastructure. Responsibilities also include supporting engineers working on integration and development activities using the platforms, and development of software applications and/or tools for new programs and subprograms.
- Administering, configuring, and supporting HPC systems clusters, including systems with accelerators and high performance file systems and storage. This includes hardware planning, installation, configuration, upgrades, repairs and decommissioning.
- Creating, modifying and deleting user accounts.
- Provide tools and scripts to assist in administration and maintenance, and verification of the health and status of the entire HPC infrastructure.
- Pro-actively monitor system performance and functionality and resolve issues as needed
- Coordinate, manage, and document configuration changes to platforms in conjunction with program leadership and CM functions.
- Documenting, maintaining, and implementing policies for backup/recover strategies, security protection mechanisms, system integration and acceptance testing, disaster recovery.
- Providing, maintaining and enhancing system security to meet customer and corporate requirements.
- Customizing environments as required by research and development teams, with specific focus on the optimization of end-users’ experiences without compromising maintainability and security.
- Receives little instruction on day-to-day work
- Independently determines approach to solutions
- Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained
- Responsible for resolution of significant and diverse problems and issues of broad scope and complexity
- Additional Responsibilities:
- Exercise creative and innovative thinking to advance our business performance
- Deliver innovative, flexible, integrated solutions to meet customers changing business needs
- Support and engage in programs, projects and practices behind the General Dynamics Mission Systems culture and strategy, and comply with all policies and procedures
- Follow industry trends and developments to ensure General Dynamics Mission Systems services are consistent with, and/or superior to, industry best practices
- Develop long range technology plans
- Working with Vendors, Facilities, and Corporate IT as needed
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Candidates should have demonstrated experience with the following:
- Linux system administration
- HPC platform or large cluster system administration
- Large software system installation and configuration
- Infrastructure automation technologies such as Ansible, SaltStack, Puppet, Chef, or xCAT
- Python, Perl or other scripting language
Candidates should have knowledge of several of the following technologies:
- TCP/IP, Internet Routing Protocols, private and public networks, VLANs, Firewalls, Load Balancers, addressing schemes, subnet creation and subnet masking
- High Performance File Systems and Storage (Lustre, GPFS)
- High Speed Interconnects (Infiniband, 40GbE)
- Parallel Computing Environments (OpenMPI, MVAPICH, etc.)
- Job Schedulers and Resource Managers (SLURM, Torque, LSF, etc.)
- Metrics and Monitoring (Ganglia, Nagios, Splunk, etc.)
- Containers and related orchestration technologies (Docker, Singularity, Kuberbetes, Swarm, Mesos, etc.)
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
The preferred candidate will have significant experience with some of the following technologies:
- Linux Kernel
- Software Architecture, Network Architecture, System Performance Optimization, operating system software (Linux)
- Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), Map Reduce, and other big data analysis frameworks
- Proficient in the use of debugging tools
- Open source development and knowledge of Git, JIRA, Make, Jenkins, Maven, Ant, Subversion
- Hadoop ecosystem or related (Avro, Thrift, HBase, Accumulo, Spark, Pig, ZooKeeper, Kafka, Storm, YARN)
- Knowledge of machine learning, graph analytics or other Big Data data science applications
- Complex system architectures including MPP Systems, SPDs.
- Software Development (Java, C/C++, object oriented)
Department of Defense TS/SCI security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.