A Relocation package may be available for this position.
Bluefin Robotics is seeking a Chief Engineer to lead the delivery, sustainment, and future improvements on a current Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV) program. Candidates should have extensive subsea domain technical expertise and the proven ability to make technical decisions from a position of leadership.
A Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related technical field is required plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree in engineering or a related technical field plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- Technical team leadership and program execution: execute program with a focus on technical execution to achieve program milestones on schedule and on budget
- Work effectively with the Program Manager and Deputy Program Manager Engineering to set program priorities while balancing resource, cost, schedule and technical constraints to achieve program milestones.
- Lead the team to deliver quick, cost-effective, and reliable technical solutions to challenging technical issues factoring in resource, cost, schedule and technical constraints and impacts.
- Lead and manage the program with multiple baselines and tasks ranging including baseline management, system production, capability enhancement integration and Government tests.
- Operate and practice disciplined systems engineering processes for the entire program life cycle: CONOPS, requirements, design, assembly, integration, test, production and analysis.
- Quickly build schedule, cost and resource plans to complete program tasks including resolving technical issues, integrating new capabilities, and conducting tests. Also assess the plans’ risks, tradeoffs and program impacts.
- Make sound technical and program decisions to achieve program milestones.
- Effectively communicate (written and oral) technical reports, discussions and presentations with the team, independent technical experts, US Government /US Navy customers and GD senior leadership.
- Empower and mentor technical team members to excel, grow and achieve program milestones.
- Provide technical oversight of subcontractor tasks.
- Collaborate with AUS Chief Engineer and other GDMS technical leads to develop technology roadmaps to identify, propose, manage Internal Research and Development (IRAD) investments and projects to benefit and other GD programs.
- Identify and propose customer funded investments in new technologies to integrate as future system capabilities.
- Lead, support and contribute to new business pursuits and proposals to capture additional scope related to the program and Autonomous Undersea Systems (AUS) business.
- Leverage and reach out to the larger GD organization for additional resources and technical expertise as needed.
- Actively and proactively manage and mitigate technical risks:
- Identify, anticipate, and assess, technical risks as early as possible.
- Develop and actively mitigate technical and program risks.
- Build and maintain strong customer relationships:
- Maintain clear, honest and open communications with both internal (GD) and external (US Govt, US Navy) stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate technical issues, impacts, corrective actions and execution plans to both internal (GD) and external (US Govt, US Navy) stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain technical credibility through exceptional technical expertise and leadership.
- Understand and anticipate customer’s concerns and challenges and propose creative solutions.
- Some (25%) Travel is required.
- Some Off-shore testing is required.
- SECRET Security clearance is required.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Technical leadership experience working multiple project and programs throughout a system or product life cycle including concept design, requirements development, detailed design, assembly, integration, test, analysis and production.
- Strong track record of solving complex problems, building, testing, delivering complex systems and achieving program milestones on time and on budget.
- Technical expertise and recognized technical leader (subject matter expert) in one or more of the following technical areas: naval architecture, SONAR systems, analog and digital electrical hardware design and development, control systems & autonomy, signal and image processing, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Experience working on projects or programs with multiple organizations including subcontractor technical oversight and management.
- At least 5 years of experience of technical project leadership and management, large scale projects and programs preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience leading diverse, multi-disciplinary teams to achieve program milestones.
- At least 5 years of experience effectively communicating (written and oral) technical reports, presentations and discussions with a diverse audience including the program team, technical subject-matter experts, customers and senior leadership.
- Experience working on US Government and US Navy programs.
- Experience developing and testing undersea sensors, systems and UUVs to verify requirements.
- Experience working designing, building, integrating and testing SONAR sensor systems, preferably on more than one platform/application.
- Acoustic signal processing and automated target recognition algorithm development, data analysis and modeling and simulation experience.
- Experience with MATLAB, R or similar data analysis software tools.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls for large complex programs.
Position and Location:
This is a full-time position located in Quincy, Massachusetts.