A Relocation package may be available for this position.
We are seeking energetic, motivated system engineers to join our team! If you would love to explore, evaluate, and demonstrate the application of High Performance Computing (HPC) technologies to high-priority data analytic challenges, and want to contribute to an exciting mission, then come and join our team!
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Lead Systems Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
- Twenty (20) years' experience as a Systems Engineer in programs and contracts of similar scope, type and complexity is required.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and leading Systems Engineering efforts is required.
- Bachelor's degree in System Engineering, or other Engineering degree, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required.
- Five (5) years of additional System Engineering experience may be substituted for a bachelor's degree.
Representative Duties and Tasks:
- Analyzes user's requirements, concept of operations documents, and high level system architectures to develop system requirements specifications.
- Analyzes system requirements and leads design and development activities. Guides users in formulating requirements, advises alternative approaches, and conducts feasibility studies. Provides technical leadership for the integration of requirements, design, and technology.
- Incorporates new plans, designs and systems into ongoing operations. Develops technical documentation. Develops system Architecture and system design documentation. Guides system development and implementation planning through assessment or preparation of system engineering management plans and system integration and test plans.
- Interacts with the Government regarding Systems Engineering technical considerations and for associated problems, issues or conflicts.
- Ultimate responsibility for the technical integrity of work performed and deliverables associated with the Systems Engineering area of responsibility.
- Communicates with the other program personnel, government overseers, and senior executives.
- Manage system requirements and derived requirements to ensure the delivery of production systems that are compatible with the defined system architecture(s) — Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF), Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), etc
- Contribute to the development of sections of systems engineering documentation such as System Engineering Plans, Initial Capabilities Documents, Requirements specifications, and Interface Control Documents
- Coordinate the resolution of action items from Configuration Control Board (CCB) meetings, design reviews, program reviews, and test reviews that require cross-discipline coordinationP
- Participate in an Integrated Product Team to design new capabilities based upon evaluation of all necessary development and operational considerations
- Generate alternative system concepts, physical architectures, and design solutions
- Define the methods, processes, and evaluation criteria by which the systems, subsystems and work products are verified against their requirements in a written plan
- Review and provide input to program and contract work breakdown structure (WBS), work packages and the integrated master plan (IMP)
- Participate in the development of system engineering documentation, such as System Engineering Plans, Initial Capabilities Documents, Requirements Specifications, and Interface Control Documents
- Implement operational view, technical standards view, and system and sprvices view for architectures using applicable DoDAF standards
- Assess each risk to the program and determine the probability of occurrence and quantified consequence of failure in accordance with an approved risk management plan
- Manage and ensure the technical integrity of the system baseline over time, continually updating it as various changes are imposed on the system during the lifecycle from development through deployment and operations & maintenance
- Support the planning and test analysis of the DoD Certification/Accreditation Process (as well as other Government Certification and Accreditation (C&A) processes)
- Support the development and review of Joint Capability Integration Development System (JCIDS) documents (i.e., Initial Capability Document, Capabilities Description Document, IA Strategy)
- Provide technical direction for the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of specific components of complex hardware/software systems to include requirements elicitation, analysis and functional allocation, conducting systems requirements reviews, developing concepts of operation and interface standards, developing system architectures, and performing technicaUnon-technical assessment and management as well as end-to-end flow analysis
- Develop scenarios (threads) and an Operational Concept that describes the interactions between the system, the user, and the environment, that satisfies operational, support, maintenance, and disposal needs
- Conduct quantitative analysis in non-functional system performance areas like Reliability, Maintainability, Vulnerability, Survivability, Produceability, etc.)
Desired Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of traditional software development tasks (SCRUM/AGILE/PMP)
- Basic understanding/entry level experience in C++/Java/Python or other traditional development languages
- Exposure to basic Agency technologies (Accumulo, NiFi, etc.)
- Basic understanding of file storage, databases, and NoSQL technologies
- Exposure to configuration management, including versioning and automated build tools
- An understanding of algorithms and their relative tradeoff spaces
- Product lifecycle management experience
- Elicit and translate customer requirements into actionable and measurable plans for development
- History of collecting and analyzing metrics for operational outcomes
- System and software testing experience, including capacity planning and white/black box testing
- Basic understanding of hardware requirements and classes of computing
- Understanding of Service-Oriented Architecture basics, including API development and documentation
- Demonstrated tactical and strategic planning capabilities to transform “as is” to “to be”
- Medium to strong writer with experience documenting process and procedures
- Experience with Jira, Confluence, MS Office, MS Project
- Team player/strong communication skills to build relationships
- Understand the benefits and uses for HPC technologies (MPI, etc.) and system types (SMP, MPP, etc)
- Exposure to computational accelerators such as FPGAs and GPUs
- Job scheduling/resource management software exposure such as SLURM and Kubernetes